Instead of writing about fine dining and other exotic eats that others can write about so much better, this post is going to be about where I like to eat every day for cheap eats.
It’s what I eat when I take my kids to pick up diapers and toilet paper at Costco – I eat what is nearby. None of these places are ever too busy and I can always grab a quick bite for cheap.
When I’m on the go by myself or with kids, I usually sort of end up eating “what’s around” instead of going out of the way.
It’s a bit of a challenge because I live in the suburbs of Austin, which is a food desert, although it has improved in recent years.
In no particular order, here are some of the places I usually go:
- Costco: for $1.99 a slice, best pizza for the value. Kids love it.
- Big Cat BBQ: excellent Cedar Park BBQ joint in a strip mall, brisket is superb.
- P King Chinese: quick, fast good Chinese, better than most.
- In-N-Out Burger: we finally got one, and it’s as good as always.
- Velvet Taco: oh, yeah, this Dallas chain has elevated tacos to gourmet levels.
- Torchy’s Taco: my favorite taco place of all time. Their queso kills.
- Salt Traders: gourmet seafood, happy hour is great bargain.
- Rudy’s BBQ: the classic Austin standard BBQ by which all others are measured.
- Mad Greens: super fresh salads with house made dressings.
- Verts Mediterranean Grill: yummy Mediterranean inspired bowls and wraps.